Looking for information on estate agents in York? RaterAgent compiles reviews from people who have sold, let, rented and bought through York estate agents – telling you everything you could need to know!
York is well known for its historic walls, buildings and cathedral but did you know….
1. Guy Fawkes was born in York.
1. Yes, Guy Fawkes – the man who rose to infamy thanks to his Gunpowder Plot – was born in Stonegate, York. Young Guy attended St. Peter’s School in Bootham, York, and to this very day the school still refuses to burn effigies of their former pupil on November 5th.
2. York is home to the oldest shopping street in Europe.
2. The Shambles, one of York’s most famous historic attractions, is widely believed to be the oldest shopping street in Europe. This claim is made due to the fact that the street is mentioned in the Domesday Book, which was published in 1086.
3. York is popular with ghosts.
3. In 2002, the International Ghost Research Foundation announced that York is in fact the most haunted city in Europe! Seeing as The Golden Fleece pub is the most haunted pub in York – it could effectively be one of the most haunted public places in the country.
4. Emperor Constantine was crowned in York.
Roman Emperor Constantine the Great was crowned in Eboracum (now known as York) after his father’s death in 306AD. Constantine was the only emperor to be crowned outside of Rome.
5. York is a trainspotter’s paradise.
5. Trainspotters will rejoice to hear that York is home to the world’s largest railway museum. The National Railway Museum includes over 1,000,000 objects from over 300 years of locomotive history, including the only Japanese Bullet Train to reside outside of Japan.